Sunday, November 25, 2012

First Match Under Rafa


Haven't blogged in a while so I figured, since I'm on break, I would post after several big things have happened for the club. I will talk a bit about the match and a bit about the possible future. Basically just what I'm seeing.

Reception:
I think all the events about RDM were warranted and show that fans generally have respect for someone who has been a great servant to the club as player and as manager. I may not be a fan of Benitez and I understand people not foreseeing the possibility of ever warming up to him (I doubt I will) but I don't think booing helps anyone. He knows many fans don't like him and that he is an interim but he has the job.

Match:
I think the match was a safe match for a man who just got hired on Wednesday. City's league form is very good and Benitez had very little time to start developing the team. What stood out to me is that defense. Luiz acted like a defender for once. I'm sure Benitez had to have sorted him out after watching Chelsea matches in the last year or so. Solid defending is one of the qualities I liked about Chelsea that initially made me a fan so it was not fun to see that disappear. Ivanovic in side with Azpilicueta out on RB is my ideal right defense and it worked wonderfully. Azpi should in all honesty be starting because he controls most of that side of the field. I am waiting to see another Torres performance or two before starting to judge for two reasons. One is that Torres was fighting for the ball but City may be one of the if not the physically biggest defense in the league and Torres is not a target man. Second was that Mazacar was not exactly firing on all cylinders. All in all, a tie against City is a fair result.

Season:
I don't see Benitez becoming a fan fave. I think he will be super careful about the Torres situation but he will probably fair better than RDM simply because he can sort out a defense. This will be big for cup competitions. When Mazacar are all in sync, the attack will not need a crazy amount of coaching due to the high amount of creativity. If Benitez can convince Roman to allow him another striker I think he has the experience to bring a double of some sort.

This is all obviously my analysis but I think for a lot of it, this was a general impression. Feel free to comment.

Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment