Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The First Week In Munich

As some of you may know, I have been in Munich for just over a week. I have been extremely lazy about updating here because sorting out work, doing the work, Chelsea Blog, and yes just plain not doing it. But with a bit of down time now, I am forcing myself to make this post. Here it goes:

Munich is a wonderful looking city. The public transport is very convenient (though some parts of the Metro are closed) There are ticket buying machines at stations and on the trams themselves. As with a lot of other cities, you aren't regularly checked on tram (especially for short rides). I just walk mostly because I am literally never in a hurry. The first few days I really only sorted out going to LiDL (on a budget here) for groceries, the slightly aggressive efficiency in this process, and the outlay of my general surroundings. After this and my trip to Nuremberg, my employer was gone to visit his kids in Cologne which meant basically a week off for me minus the tedious excel sheet making I chipped at each day. Admitedly, I did not do much last week but that is also because I don't really know people here and I had to make the money stretch a bit until I could withdraw more. I did got out with a friend from Munich on Saturday who had just gotten back to Munich last week. It was not what either of us expected but at least I was out and met another person who I can hang out with around here.

Today, after withdrawing money and realizing I had walked half way to the Hauptbahnhof (main train station), I decided I might as well check the city center out. I have made it a tradition since Barcelona that for any place I spend a decent amount of time, I will get their discount football jersey/shirts. Valencia was the exception (I got the official) because I like them and it was maybe 40-50 Euro, not the 80+ I have to pay for the other official shirts.  So being in Munich, I was in search for a Bayern Munich and Germany discount shirt. My hope was to get Schweinesteiger Bayern and Oezil Germany. In Barcelona, this search took 20 min tops. The stores by Sagrada Familia had these for giv ore take 20 Euro. Palermo, I went to a market and it took again maybe 20 minutes to find the shirt: 10 Euro. here in Munich, no-one even knew where you would find unofficial shirts. It wasn't like anyone even knew that there is a place where these are available. It really is official or bust here. I hope maybe by the stadium but I'm starting to doubt I'll find the Munich one but I did find a Germany one for 20 Euro (shown above). Unfortunately no name on it... Ah well.

But yes this is basically my week. I have become accustomed to this place and hopefully this coming week I will start being a bit more touristy and check out all the must-see sites and such.

gute Nacht,
Daniel

1 comment:

  1. Seriously jealous. Name or no name, its pretty legit.

    ReplyDelete